Waltz is an unincorporated community in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is located within Huron Charter Township approximately 25 miles southwest of Detroit and 6 miles south of Detroit Metro Airport. Waltz can easily be accessed by I-275, exit 8. As an unincorporated community, Waltz has no defined boundaries or population statistics of its own, however the village population is estimated to be about 1,200 persons based on US Census Block details.
The community was first settled in 1857 when Joseph Waltz, Sr., moved his family from Detroit to a 160-acre plot of farmland. The original farm was located along Territorial Road (now Waltz Road) just north of the Wayne–Monroe county line. When the elder Waltz died in 1865, the property was left to his widow Mary, who later deeded it to Joseph Waltz, Jr., in 1867.
In 1872, the Village of Waltz was formally platted and recorded with the State of Michigan. The community later expanded through several additions. Joseph Waltz, Jr., operated a general store on Territorial Road which later became Krzyske Brothers Hardware and remains in operation today as one of the areas oldest continually operating businesses. Waltz also opened a German bier garten and hall on Mineral Springs Avenue and Territorial Road, this business is the Waltz Inn today.
Joseph Waltz, Jr. held many political positions including Huron Township Clerk and Supervisor, Superintendent of the poor for Wayne County and also State Representative. As Superintendent of the Poor, he was instrumental in establishing the Wayne County Hospital at Eloise and as State Representative, he was largely responsible in purchasing Detroit's Belle Isle Park.
The community is located along the main CSX rail line from Toledo to Plymouth, Michigan. This rail line was originally established as the Holly, Wayne and Monroe Railway. In 1872, the same year that Waltz was platted, the railway became the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad where it had its own depot in Waltz. The Village was a primary producer of charcoal, bricks and a coal and water stop along the railroad. Other businesses in Waltz's early history included the Waltz Hotel, Waltz Cheese and Molasses Company, and the Harbaurer Pickle Company.
Although early in its existence, Waltz supported two churches, a Methodist Church and the primary center of spiritual and religious learning has been St. John's Lutheran Church which was founded in the community in 1857.
The community continues to exist today located off Michigan's Interstate 275 at exit 8. The community is served by the Huron School District. Postal service from the Waltz Post Office ceased in 1954 when a new post office was opened in New Boston using the 48164 ZIP Code. The community of Willow is just to the north
In 2022, Waltz will celebrate its 150th birthday. A year full of events and activities are planned, highlighted by the Waltz150 Celebration Festival. The festival which was held June 24-26, 2022 throughout the village.
If you wish to volunteer or participate in one of our events or activities, see the Volunteer Info or Forms pages for more details coming soon on how you can be part of the celebration!